Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Day 58 - Read some books.

I am a reader.  I love books.  I know that I do not read enough, but when I get into it, it is like an itch that I can't scratch until I finish the book.  Recently, I have been reading alot of YA (Young Adult Novels.  These novels are specifically tailored for 14-21 year olds.) because many of my students read these types of novels and I feel that I should be current on what they like.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is an amazing book.  It is the first of a trilogy about a strong female character who represents her "district" in a post apocalyptic almost communistic state.   She is chosen to represent her district in the annual "survival of the fittest" among teens of all of the districts.   It sounds weird, but read it, it is a great ride.  Katniss is an amazing role model for young women, strong but still emotional with the ups and downs of any teen.   I loved this book and couldn't put it down.  I have never read a book like this, original and brilliant.   There are two more in the series, Catching Fire and Mockingjay, which continue Katniss' journey and how she can't choose between her two suitors. 

Yes, I am 32 and loved this book.  I had riveting conversations with my students about the complexity of this book.  This poses the question:  Why are  we reading the literary cannon chosen by people that are removed from the youth of America?  I can get deep conversations from Hunger Games, (Twilight, Harry Potter, etc)  but can't get a peep about The Odyssey or Shakespeare.  I understand the importance of language and history but there are great books written in the last few years that students would appreciate more.  In Principal Barr's school, we would read the coolest, newest, most amazing books that are recent. 

Currently reading, Matched by Allie Condie.  Similar in plot to Hunger Games, but leans a little more to a love story than the action packed Hunger Games.

Miss B.

No comments:

Post a Comment